$160pp | 6 Hours | 4.00pm
Our guided sea kayak tour to Rangitoto Island takes in the sunset atop one of Auckland’s most iconic landmarks. Paddle your way through an adventure to remember.
What to Expect
Less than 10 minutes from downtown Auckland you’ll launch from our iconic Fergs Kayaks base on the water’s edge at Okahu Bay.
Your paddling adventure to the island takes a little over an hour, once there, your guide will lead you on a summit hike, taking in the amazing geology, flora and fauna, and fascinating history of this unique, dormant volcano.
At the peak, you will enjoy a 360° view of Auckland City, the inner harbour and islands of the Hauraki Gulf. On a clear evening, the sunset is breathtaking.
A real highlight of this tour is paddling home under the stars with the lights of Auckland in the distance. It is a wonderfully serene way to end the day.
- Meet Fergs Kayaks 4.00pm (or after daylight saving ends, at 2.00pm)
- Safety Briefing
- Approx. 75 minute paddle to Rangitoto
- One hour hike to the summit
- Rest and take in the sunset
- Return hike down the volcano
- Paddle home under the stars
- Return to base 10.30pm (approx.)
- Daytime tours are also available, meeting at 9.00am and returning by 3.00pm (approx.)
- Wildlife encounters. Dolphins and penguins are regular inhabitants of our harbour, occasionally Orcas have also been known to visit.
- The rich history of the island is enchanting and educational.
- Adventure! Our night tours are nothing short of legendary.
- Take in the city from a unique perspective.
- Immerse yourself in a truly Kiwi experience.
- The most memorable team building adventure.
- Sit atop the most iconic volcano in Auckland.
- We can take care of everything, so you don’t have to worry and just focus on enjoying the trip!
Our tours have limited numbers, so please book in advance to secure your space.
What to Bring
Dress for the weather, and be prepared for it to change. We recommend the following:
- For summer paddling: shorts, t-shirt, sports tights, quick dry clothing. For winter paddling, anything thermal/wool/polypro, shorts/leggings/polar fleece or hiking trousers (NO denim or cotton please)
- A windproof shell jacket
- Hiking shoes or trainers
- Water and snacks
- Sunhat/sunglasses, ideally with a securing string
- Your sense of adventure
- We provide all safety equipment
What to worry about
Nothing! Our guides are experienced and safety conscious. We chaperone you the whole way and have systems in place for the unexpected. We are weather and tide nerds, with your safety our top priority.
Kayaking is sustained physical exercise, but it’s not boot camp. Moderate fitness is all that is needed for you to comfortably enjoy your paddle to Rangitoto.
Any questions, call or email our friendly staff or enquire in store.