North Head Adventure
A relaxed three-hour tour across the harbour taking in some of Auckland’s famed North Shore beaches while enjoying the rich history and views from North Head.
What to Expect
Less than 10 minutes from downtown Auckland you’ll launch from our iconic Fergs Kayaks base on the water’s edge at Okahu Bay.
Your paddling adventure to the North Shore takes around 45 minutes, first pulling in to the seaside village of Devonport. From there we paddle around North Head and make landfall at Cheltenham Beach.
Weather permitting a dip from this famed shoreline is a must.
Your guide will lead you on a summit hike up North Head (Maungauika), one of the oldest dormant volcanos in Auckland, taking in the fascinating history of this old Pā and coastal defence site.
At the peak, you will enjoy sweeping views of Auckland City, the inner harbour and some outlying islands of the Hauraki Gulf.
You can rest and recharge with a snack before returning to your kayaks and paddling home across the mighty Waitemata.
• Meet Fergs Kayaks 9.00 am
• Safety Briefing
• 45-minute paddle to Devonport
• Paddle tour around North Head
• Land on Cheltenham Beach One
• Hike to North Head summit
• Rest and take in the views
• Return hike
• Paddle home
• Return to base 12.00 pm (approx.)
Why You Want to Get on Board
• The mystery. Stories of secret tunnels and hidden passages through the volcano persist to this day.
• Wildlife encounters. Dolphins and penguins are regular inhabitants of our harbour, we even have a local leopard seal that enjoys sleeping on our ramp.
• The rich history of the island is enchanting and educational.
• Adventure! Discover war ramparts and historic Devonport.
• Take in the city from a unique perspective.
• Immerse yourself in a truly Auckland and Kiwi experience.
• The most memorable team building adventure.
• A date to make the producers of The Bachelor swoon.
• Sit atop a dormant volcano.
• We can take care of everything, so you don’t have to worry and just focus on enjoying the trip!
Our tours have limited numbers, so please book in advance to secure your space.
What to Bring
Dress for the weather, and be prepared for it to change. We recommend the following:
• For summer paddling: shorts, t-shirt, sports tights, quick dry clothing. For winter paddling, anything thermal/wool/polypro, shorts/leggings/polar fleece or hiking trousers (NO denim or cotton please)
• A windproof shell jacket
• Hiking shoes or trainers
• Water and snacks
• Sunhat/sunglasses, ideally with a securing string
• Your sense of adventure
• We provide all safety equipment
What to Worry About
Nothing! Our guides are experienced and safety conscious. We chaperone you the whole way and have systems in place for the unexpected. We are weather and tide nerds, with your safety our top priority.
Kayaking is sustained physical exercise, but it’s not boot camp. Only a moderate level of fitness is required and you’ll comfortably enjoy your morning on the water. Sorry, you need to be at least 16 years.
You Might Also be Interested in
Secluded Browns Island is only accessible by private launch or sea kayak. Fergs half day tour takes in the impressive archaeological landscape of this beautifully preserved volcano and the wide range of historic site types including archaic middens, fish traps and stone structures.
How Can I Help With Biosecurity
Fergs Kayaks are licensed by DOC and the Auckland Council to visit islands in the Hauraki Gulf. We take pride in protecting these valuable sanctuaries and appreciate your help.
• Check your bags for stowaways: Argentine ants, mice, rats, and rainbow skinks. They’re sneaky, so be thorough.
• Ensure your footwear, clothing and bags are clean and free from any soil and seeds.
• Pack all food in a rodent-proof container eg. hard plastic with a lid.
• Make sure everything you bring is in a sealed and/or zipped closed bag. No open bags or boxes.
• Any camping or overnight gear must be thoroughly checked for pest stowaways.
Visitfor further information on biosecurity in the Hauraki Gulf. Book Now