Price Duration Check-In
$120 Half Day 5.50PM
Hidden in plain sight this spectacular volcano is one of the most beautiful islands in the Waitemata with an impressive archaeological landscape. There is no ferry service to the Island, so it is also one of the most serene and exclusive.
What to Expect
You’ll launch your adventure from St. Heliers beach, 20 minutes from downtown Auckland.
Your paddling adventure to the Island takes around 45 minutes. Once there, your guide will lead you on a summit hike, taking in the amazing geology and fascinating history of this stunning dormant volcano.
At the peak, you will enjoy views of east Auckland, islands of the Hauraki Gulf, and historic archaeological gems.
The paddle home passes the sheltered cliffs of Gentleman’s Bay.
- Meet St. Heliers Beach 10 am
- Safety Briefing
- 45-minute paddle to Motukorea
- Hike to the summit
- Rest and take in the views
- Return hike down the volcano
- Circumnavigate the island (weather permitting)
- Paddle home past the cliffs of Gentleman’s Bay
- Return to St Heliers Beach around 2 pm
- The archaeological landscape of the island is outstanding because of its completeness and intactness
- Wildlife encounters. Dolphins and penguins are regular inhabitants of our harbour
- The rich history of the island is enchanting and educational. Our guides will both educate and entertain!
- Adventure! This uninhabited island can feel like a Famous Five adventure!
- Take in the city from a unique perspective.
- Immerse yourself in a truly Auckland and Kiwi experience.
- The most memorable team building adventure.
- A date to make the producers of The Bachelor swoon.
- Sit atop an iconic volcano.
- We can take care of everything, so you don’t have to worry and just focus on enjoying the trip!
Our tours have limited numbers, so please book in advance to secure your space.
What to Bring
Dress for the weather, and be prepared for it to change. We recommend the following:
- For summer paddling: shorts, t-shirt, sports tights, quick dry clothing. For winter paddling, anything thermal/wool/polypro, shorts/leggings/polar fleece or hiking trousers (NO denim or cotton please)
- A windproof shell jacket
- Hiking shoes or trainers
- Water and snacks
- Sunhat/sunglasses, ideally with a securing string
- Your sense of adventure
- We provide all safety equipment
What to worry about
Nothing! Our guides are experienced and safety conscious. We chaperone you the whole way and have systems in place for the unexpected. We are weather and tide nerds, with your safety our top priority.
Kayaking is sustained physical exercise, but it’s not boot camp. Moderate fitness is all that is needed for you to comfortably enjoy your paddle to Browns Island.