Price Duration Check-In
$100 3 Hours 9.00AM
A relaxed three-hour tour across the harbour taking in some of Auckland’s famed North Shore beaches while enjoying the rich history and views from North Head.
What to Expect
Less than 10 minutes from downtown Auckland you’ll launch from our iconic Fergs Kayaks base on the water’s edge at Okahu Bay.
Your paddling adventure to the North Shore takes around 45 minutes, first pulling in to the seaside village of Devonport. From there we paddle around North Head and make landfall at Cheltenham Beach.
Weather permitting a dip from this famed shoreline is a must.
Your guide will lead you on a summit hike up North Head (Maungauika), one of the oldest dormant volcanos in Auckland, taking in the fascinating history of this old Pā and coastal defence site.
At the peak, you will enjoy sweeping views of Auckland City, the inner harbour and some outlying islands of the Hauraki Gulf.
You can rest and recharge with a snack before returning to your kayaks and paddling home across the mighty Waitemata.
- Meet Fergs Kayaks 9.00 am
- Safety Briefing
- 45-minute paddle to Devonport
- Paddle tour around North Head
- Land on Cheltenham Beach One
- Hike to North Head summit
- Rest and take in the views
- Return hike
- Paddle Home
- Return to base 12.00 pm (approx.)
- The mystery. Stories of secret tunnels and hidden passages through the volcano persist to this day.
- Wildlife encounters. Dolphins and penguins are regular inhabitants of our harbour
- The rich history of the island is enchanting and educational. Our guides will both educate and entertain!
- Adventure! Discover war ramparts and historic Devonport.
- Take in the city from a unique perspective.
- Immerse yourself in a truly Auckland and Kiwi experience.
- The most memorable team building adventure.
- A date to make the producers of The Bachelor swoon.
- Sit atop an iconic volcano.
- We can take care of everything, so you don’t have to worry and just focus on enjoying the trip!
Our tours have limited numbers, so please book in advance to secure your space.
What to Bring
Dress for the weather, and be prepared for it to change. We recommend the following:
- For summer paddling: shorts, t-shirt, sports tights, quick dry clothing. For winter paddling, anything thermal/wool/polypro, shorts/leggings/polar fleece or hiking trousers (NO denim or cotton please)
- A windproof shell jacket
- Hiking shoes or trainers
- Water and snacks
- Sunhat/sunglasses, ideally with a securing string
- Your sense of adventure
- We provide all safety equipment
What to worry about
Nothing! Our guides are experienced and safety conscious. We chaperone you the whole way and have systems in place for the unexpected. We are weather and tide nerds, with your safety our top priority.
Kayaking is sustained physical exercise, but it’s not boot camp. Kayaking is sustained physical exercise, but it’s not boot camp. Moderate fitness is all that is needed for you to comfortably enjoy your paddle to Motukorea.