$120pp | 4 Hours | 5.30pm
Leave at dusk to explore the harbour during twilight hours. Paddle out as the hills become dotted with light and journey from the shining city to the quiet country. Warm yourself up with a break in Shelly Bay then return to the dazzling view of the city horizon.
What to expect
Arrive by 5.30pm for a briefing and some paperwork then we’ll get geared up, go over the basics of paddling techniques and how our kayaks work. We’ll be on the water within half an hour going the distance aiming for Shelly Bay (weather permitting) or Evans bay. Keep an ear out for Korora (Little Blue Penguin) calls and the splashing frenzies of large bait balls on the surface, cruising past Oriental Bay to Jerningham Point to head into Evans Bay to explore the city-lit hills. Alternatively, we may cross the channel to Point Haswell past the shadow of Somes Island towards the Cook Straight and have a break at Shelly Bay, warm up with a hot drink and then cruise your way back to the cityscape of light.
What to bring
We’ll provide all safety equipment necessary so you just need to come along ready for the journey with some of the following:
- Quick dry clothing such as athletic wear, leggings, hiking trousers. For winter it is recommended to wear warm layers such as polyprops, fleece, wool (NO denim or cotton)
- A windproof layer (can be provided)
- Sun hat or beanie depending on the season
- Footwear you wouldn’t mind getting wet
- Water and snacks are recommended
- If you are wanting to bring a device or camera you will need to bring your own waterproof case/bag as we do not provide them
What to know when booking
We typically have our tour on Thursdays from 5.30pm-9.30pm. But as is the nature of the activity we are at the mercy of the weather and take every precaution to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip which does mean we may have to reschedule your tour. If Thursday doesn’t work we maybe able to sort another day but please give us a week's notice so we have a guide available for you.