$160pp | 5 Hours | 10.00am
An adventure that goes the distance, travelling from the city shore to the beautiful, predator-free reserve of Somes Island where you can see and learn about this historic landmark as you explore its meandering paths.
What to expect
Arrive by 10am for a briefing and some paperwork then we’ll get geared up, go over the basics of paddling techniques and how our kayaks work. We’ll be on the water within half an hour paddling to the furthest point past Oriental Bay and the Carter Memorial Fountain. Crossing from Point Jerningham to Point Halswell and await the "all-clear" in Kau Bay to cross the shipping channel to Somes Island. As you get closer you’ll circle the island to the docking station, once docked and equipment is checked for pests you can explore the island with your guide. See the breathtaking views, learn a bit about the history as you tuck into some food then gear up for the paddle back along the other side of the harbour back to base. Our most adventurous tour yet!
What to bring
We’ll provide all safety equipment necessary so you just need to come along ready for the journey with the following:
- Quick dry clothing such as athletic wear, leggings, hiking trousers. For winter it is recommended to wear warm layers such as polyprops, fleece, wool (no denim or cotton)
- A windproof layer (can be provided)
- Sun hat or beanie depending on the season
- Trainers suitable for walking are recommended
- Water and snacks are recommended
- If you are wanting to bring a device or camera you will need to bring your own waterproof case/bag as we do not provide them
What to know when booking
We typically run our tour on Sundays from 10am-3pm. But as is the nature of the activity we are at the mercy of the weather and take every precaution to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip which does mean we may have to reschedule your tour. If a Sunday doesn’t work we maybe able to sort out another day but please give us a week's notice to make sure we have a guide available for you.